Sunday, July 25, 2010

CROATIA. ITS THERE/the indiscreet charm






LIZ SAYS: We had better luck in Croatia than we did in Slovenia. The forests were not as thick and I got a stamp for my passport. I love that! Frederic had picked a town called Porec because of its fabulous mosaic in the church. We found a great restaurant with cevapcici, yummy little salty sausages served with a red bell pepper relish.
They don’t use euros, but they do trade in them, so you don’t have to trade all your money for ‘kuna’ (7 kuna to the euro).
The church had another great mosaic, similar to the St. Appollinaire de Classe in Ravenna. It seemed like it was by the same artist. We actually had a much better time than I expected after the disappointing Lubijana.

THE INDISCREET CHARM
The beaches were the next task. Frederic and Adrian were both dying for a dip. We could only find concrete slabs near water that looked like someone had bathed in it already. At one point a little boy decided to relieve himself in the ocean. Frederic and I had a deep discussion about whether it was better to show everyone or do it discreetly IN the water. I, being the discreet, hypocritical American, preferred the in the water approach. At least, there is the possibility that not everyone is pissing the ocean blue! Frederic insists that everyone pees in the ocean anyway. Did not want to know that!
I never set foot in the Sea. I just took a cold shower and let the sun dry me.

No comments:

Post a Comment