Monday, April 11, 2011

Facade Cleaning





LIZ SAYS: Early in the morning I am awakened by the clang clang of the metal poles for the scaffolding. Across the street, the workers start at 7 in the morning on the dot, erecting the frame for the scrim that will cover the building for who knows how long. I've seen this before and I always feel so sorry for the residents. The building is covered while the building's facade is powerwashed and it seems to take forever. The sun is finally out and the building is shaded, with one set of windows being completely covered by the sign advertising the company doing the work. They workers washed the building for about 3 days, starting every morning with a sound similar to the sound of the dentist's spit sucker amplified 100 times. If you have the windows open, you have to raise your voice when you talk. The hellish part for the residents is that the building's burka covers its face and there have been no workers doing anything for the last 3 weeks or so. I think every building has this done every 7 years.
I don't know when we are due for a cleaning, but I don't think I will be able to stand it!

No comments:

Post a Comment