Friday, January 11, 2013

LA METAMORPHOSE DES MATERIAUX


LA METAMORPHOSE DES MATERIAUX

LIZ SAYS: The ever silent Dick and I ran into this show after leaving Kong, the fab resto with a view. I suddenly realized that Dick was leaning towards a doorway, with his usual artistic intuition guiding him right into an exhibition. Rusty metal is always attractive to me and the metamorphosis of materials was a good title.
I could immediately sense the artist’s anxiety as soon as we entered. Most of them had little to worry about. The premise was played out in a number of inventive and sale-able ways.
Some things were a little cliched, like the recycled skate boards, but then it is just a matter a taste. A kid might actually investigate further and find the theme immediately relevant. 
I really liked the lamps made of circuit boards simply because they cast such great light. It was a simple idea, that I had seen before, but these lamps seemed to be very well crafted, just in terms of the light they cast. It could have just been the bulbs, but it worked for me. 
The spectacular piece was front and center. It was a horse sized rendering of a horse, made from manchunks of metal, this was no Deborah Butterfield. 
I loved the cute little tank and would have bought it, had I any place for it to go. Can the words cute and tank go together?
There was also a little winged jacket that was lovely.





















No comments:

Post a Comment