Sunday, July 25, 2010

GRADO IS REALLY CLOSE TO AQUILEA




Grado is my kind of beach town. Even though we never went to the beach, it had the beach vibe. We found the most enchanting restaurant in a small bright alleyway that lead to a bright but shaded outdoor dining space. Lunch was casual and delicious. At the Travenetta all’Androna the food was beautiful, the service sweet. We went to Grado because it was near Aquilea. Aquilea had one of the most fabulous mosaic floors I have ever seen. It is heaving in spots but it is the most action packed marble wonder, with of course, biblical scenes, but every creature under the sea and skies. It was surrounded by a see though floor which you can peer leisurely at the marvelous detail. The site is not crowded and is a great respite from the heat. There were Roman digs everywhere, evidently there is so much there that it is impossible to dig it all up. I had never seen an active dig before. It is thankless, hot, gritty work. I really admired the people who worked so hard as I leisurely rode by in my air conditioned Panda.

No comments:

Post a Comment